Live Better – Work Better. 2018’s Corporate Wellness Trends.
It is a fact, if you don’t reply to an email within the hour, you may lose out on potential business. If you don’t catch wind of a social event and network effectively, you may be left in the dark. There’s pressure to always be running at 100%, all of the time and it is simply an impossible task.
Here we look at the top wellness trends we recommend to help alleviate burnout so many men and women face in an always-connected modern workplace.
Downtime – Balancing work and life
“Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.”
Even if we don’t want to hear it, it has been medically proven that unplugging, even for a short period every day, has immense benefits. Solitude is extremely hard to find in an ever-connected world, but it’s essential in order for us to re-centre, refocus and rejuvenate. Powering-off screens and outside ‘noise’ will create the stillness needed to do just that. On the performance front, ‘switching off’ helps us to create rather than to consume. We’re constantly digesting movies, music and other people’s ideas, leaving little time to properly form our own and make an original and worthy contribution to the work place. The message is clear: switch off to switch on your creativity.
Meditation is practiced by many of the top performers of our time, from Jerry Seinfeld to Ray Dalio. The benefits include: stress reduction, increased focus, increased immunity and even a boost in compassion by being mindful. Headspace, a highly-reviewed meditation app, describes meditation as: “Training in awareness and getting a healthy sense of perspective.” They also conclude that, “Brilliant things happen in calm minds. Happier and healthier employees have been shown to be more productive, resilient and creative.” Meditation helps get people to this point. There are many types of meditation practices it is finding the one that best suits your personality and lifestyle that is the real challenge.
Reading boosts relaxation, brain power and helps induce sleep. We have collated 5 of our top wellness reads, for you to try for yourself.
- Thrive – Arianna Huffinton. In this best seller, Arianna urges all of us to get in touch with who we really are so that we can live life on our own terms. From the importance of sleep to the imperative to listen to our own inner voice for ways to deal with the daily time crunches we all feel, this book lays out a path for each of us to look within and make our lives more authentic and fulfilling
- The Happiness Project – Gretchen Ruben. he Happiness Project is illuminating yet entertaining, thought-provoking yet compulsively readable. Gretchen Rubin’s passion for her subject jumps off the page, and reading just a few chapters of this book will inspire you to start your own happiness project
- You are a Badass – Jen Sincero – In this refreshingly entertaining how-to guide, Jen Sincero, serves up 27 bite-sized chapters full of hilariously inspiring stories, sage advice, easy exercises, and the occasional swear word, helping you to: Identify and change the self-sabotaging beliefs and behaviours that stop you from getting what you want. Create a life you totally love.
- The Tao of Pooh – Benjamin Hoff. A classic.
- How to Live a Good Life – Jonathan Fields. Jonathan brilliantly shows us how to easily find more meaning in life and be the best version of ourselves
Massage for Stress Release
Prolonged stress can cause muscle tension, back and neck pain, headaches, anxiety and eventually even depression and sickness. Massage is widely known for its stress-releasing and soothing effects. It helps to lower heart rate, quiet racing minds, release physical and mental tension, decrease anxiety and provide an overall sense of calmness and wellbeing. When the stress factor is removed, we can get a different perspective on life, interact better with colleges and be on top of our professional game.
Amani Spas offers a range of stress-releasing massages for corporates and the busy business person. Our most popular treatment for corporate wellness includes:
- An Aromatherapy Massage, which combines gentle touch and aromatherapy to bring back equilibrium to both body and mind.
- A Lefika Hot Stone Massage, which uses natural river stones radiant with heat – nature’s way of deeply reducing muscle tension while stimulating circulation to activate vital life force energy.