Our top 3 wellness trends to keep you feeling great in 2018
Wellness is a hot topic in 2018, from Gwyneth Paltrow’s “Goop” to the fly-off the shelves best seller from Gabrielle Bernstein, “The Judgement Detox”. We all want to feel our best at all times and to perform at our peak. However, there are many lifestyle factors sap our “wellness” like stress, poor diet and too little sleep.
Here is what is making it to the top of our wellness list for 2018.
Personal care products are essentially unregulated. Many are loaded with parabens, toxins, endocrine disruptors and even known carcinogens – yes, chemicals that are known to cause cancer. Labels are not always easy to decipher. Here are our tips to cleaning up your skincare regime:
- Simplify your routine. Too many products overload the skin and can cause irritation and even breakouts.
- Go Vegan. Yes, this year’s booming food trend is making waves in skincare. Vegan products are not animal tested and are generally cleaner than other skincare ranges, both to your skin and the environment.
- Check for the EcoCert regulation on the packaging. Which regulates traceability and control in products, EcoCert is committed to environmental protection and are an international regulatory body.
- Probiotics, this friendly bacterium is not just good for your digestive system, but it is a great addition to your skincare. Probiotics can eliminate toxins by topical application and fight free radicals.
For our month of all things wellness, we are offering you a fully organic and natural Amani experience: The ESSEnce of Africa, a 90-min luxurious facial journey that harnesses the power of active probiotics and botanic infusion. Our decadent ritual includes a full facial, a relaxing scalp, back, neck and shoulder massage, and a nourishing hand treatment. An Esse trial pack valued at R250 in a complimentary bag will be included for the first 20 bookings in both Cape Town and Johannesburg. Our special (valued at R1600) is on offer for just R885. T&C’s apply.
We stock the full Esse organic skincare range, which is regulated by Ecocert, contains 100% natural ingredients and is not tested on animals.
Spice things up
Spices have made a big impact on wellness, which has its roots in Ayurveda. The two main guiding principles of Ayurveda are: 1. The mind and body are inextricably connected and 2, nothing has more power to heal than the mind.
The Ayurvedic use of spices is well documented, in ancient times spices were used to preserve and flavour foods and to promote health. According to the Ayurveda each spice has specific properties:
- Turmeric has incredible healing properties with powerful antioxidants and the ability to prevent or minimise inflammation. It has been linked to improved brain function and has beneficial effects on several factors known to play a role in heart disease.
- Mint aids digestion and soothes the stomach where there may be indigestion or inflammation. As a natural stimulant, it’s a great pick-me-up, charging your energy and helping the brain to function optimally. Its strong aroma is very effective in clearing up nasal and respiratory congestion and is able to assist in alleviating nausea and headaches.
- Cayenne, made from ground red chili peppers, boosts metabolism, improves digestive health, helps detoxify and improves overall immunity. This potent pepper has been found to reduce pain (including joint pain and migraines), it protects the heart by improving the health of blood vessels and lowering blood pressure and it clears congestion.
- Cumin is known to aid in digestion, be effective in the treatment of insomnia and able to fight the common cold. It contains key nutrients such as iron and copper, which are needed for healthy red blood cells and it promotes good circulation. Cumin also has antimicrobial, antibacterial and antioxidant properties, all of which promote general wellbeing.
At Amani Spa, we treat our guests to a range of artisanal teas that combine wellness-boosting spices and herbs. Upon arriving at Amani Spas, we offer you an Ayrudeda Herbs and Ginger tea as a warming welcome. All our tea sections have been carefully stocked with the finest Demmers Teehaus selection. The blends include the delightful Forestberry Cocktail, an Exotic Green, and a tantalising Rooibos Caramel and Peppermint.
We also stock these delicious Ayurveda teas for you to purchase so you can have that tranquil experience in the comfort of your own home.
The Sleep Factor
Sleep is one of the most important factors when it comes to our well-being. In fact, it’s foundational. If your sleep patterns are muddled up, chances are, your health is too. 2018 is your time to optimise your sleep for better well-being. The hottest trends for sleeping well in 2018 are not so much as new, but practical advice to better your quality of sleep going forward.
- Himalayan salt lamps are a trendsetting way to create a clean environment and a calming atmosphere to improve sleep. It acts as a natural ioniser and air cleanser for your sweetest sleep yet. Amani Spas offer a signature Himalayan Salt Crystal Treatment, which is 90-min of pure relaxation for R1350. This treatment is a restorative and energising massage using warm coconut oil, unique Himalayan salt crystals and flowing massage movements for balance and rejuvenation. The healing Himalayan salt crystals offer the benefit of increased immunity to disease, while the glowing lamp ionizes and purifies your space. You can also buy your own salt lamp from Wellness Warehouse. Let us know if you have found it improves your quality of sleep.
- Your olfactory organs are vital to your overall wellness. Your senses can be calmed dramatically by certain scents, which is why sleep scents are on the list of popular sleep trends to make an impact this year. Reed diffusers, pillow misters and humidifiers that can accommodate essential oils, are all hot property at the moment. Essential oils such as the common lavender to the more exotic frankincense are all touted to be great sleep inducers.
- Total silence and darkness is crucial to a good night’s sleep. Sleep masks and earplugs help you shut out external noises and light. It has been proven that even a little light can disrupt sleep patterns. You will probably have to try a few sleep masks to find the perfect fit, but this one from Cape Union Mart, is a god place to start.
These are just a few of the wellness trends that are making a big impact in 2018. To find out more about a wellness experience at our spas, why not book a treatment at one of our luxe City Spas online and find out for yourself why wellness is so important for your vitality.