Win the Day with Our Easy Winter Wellness Routine
An easy daily schedule to follow for improved exercise, a healthier diet and better sleep.
This is a simple-to-follow daily routine that will help you get you healthier this winter. Times are flexible, but this routine is a great way to see how you can slot healthier habits into your day.
6:00-6:30 am: Add some zing to your morning. Drink two cups of warm water with lemon each morning. This dawn ritual assists in keeping you hydrated throughout the day, reduces constipation and is packed with healthy nutrients. To spice things up, add a cinnamon stick or piece of fresh ginger.
6:30-7:00am: Get active! Do at least 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise on an empty stomach, this will reduce stress levels and burn additional body fat. Studies have shown that you burn up to 20% more body fat in a fasted state than when you exercise later in the day. Trust us, you will feel better afterwards.
7:00-8:00am: Still the most important meal of the day. One of the best breakfasts to eat is still the traditional whole egg, pair with wholegrain toast and you are ready to crush the day. Pressed for time? Consider a nutritionally dense breakfast smoothie. In a blender, add in a scoop of whey protein, a handful of spinach and a teaspoon of a superfood such as maca root powder, a frozen banana and top with a nut milk of your choice or water – blend. We promise it tastes better than it looks! For extra flavour add in a teaspoon of honey or stevia. Want more recipes, click here.
During The Day:
- Pack protein-rich foods that don’t contain sugar for your mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack. Options include: apple slices topped with almond butter, a boiled egg or cheese and veggie sticks Studies show individuals who eat frequent small meals can maintain a healthier weight more easily. Eating regularly will avoid blood-sugar highs and lows that can affect both your mood and energy. Ideally you should be eating healthy snacks every 3 hours.
- Hydrate: Keep a big bottle of water on your desk and in the car, preferably in glass, and sip throughout the day.
- Try get in another 30-minute workout at least 3 times per week, try for either lunchtime or after work session. Weight resistance training is ideal. Hit the circuit at the gym, try out Cross Fit or get some resistance bands to shake up to your usual workout routine.
18:00 – 20:00: Eat dinner at last two hours before bedtime to promote an uninterrupted sleep. Your plate should include: fibrous carbohydrates, one third green salad and one third vegetables. The other third should be your protein. Find more healthy dinner recipes here.
21:00-23:00: Aim to get to bed before 11pm. Most sleep experts agree that you need between 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep for optimal performance and health. Here are out top sleep tips:
- Turn off that electric blanket or heater as you get into bed!
- Try cut out as much light as possible, using either black-out blinds or a sleep mask. If you are a light sleeper using ear-plugs helps cut out any ambient noise.
- If you have trouble sleeping consistently, speak to your healthcare professional about supplements such as magnesium that help you manage stress levels more effectively.
Give this routine a try to optimize your health this winter!